The apocalypse knocked on my door eleven years ago, bearing pamphlets colourfully depicting the fate awaiting those who would not witness Jehovah. Apocalypticism and apocalypticists have fascinated me ever since. Apocalypse means ‘removal of a veil’, and is relevant to scientific discovery, transformation in society, and the expansion of the conscious into the unconscious. Nemu’s End is about these processes. We explore how limitations are formed, and what happens when they collapse.
Section one, ‘The World’, is about belief. We discuss how theory can limit us, how scientific ‘truth’ is constructed, and in the interests of whom. In Science Revealed, biographies of Tesla, Paracelsus, Einstein, Pascal, Freud and others show how our most groundbreaking theories and technologies were not the result of rational thinking and tapping on calculators, but were revelations made in dreams, trance, meditation, drug-induced stupors, fevers, and other non-normal states. The other side of the apocalyptic mind is the concern, and often obsession, which thinkers such as Newton, Paracelsus, Einstein and Hawking have shown with respect to the end of the world.
Since the rise of rationalism and the religion of Scientism, the complex tapestry of life has become threadbare. Here we weave threads of shamanism and magick back into the whole, seeing where such worldviews match with science, and where they clash. With over 1000 citations, this becomes a little technical sometimes, but Nemu’s narrative moistens the material, and Nemu’s irreverence steers it around New Age pitfalls. New Age writers sometimes seem to pull ideas out of their bottoms, but although there is conjecture here, it is well researched. It is also autobiographical, and we are talking about hands-on exorcism in the jungle, not men’s weeping rituals around the sacred well at Glastonbury. Whilst I was editing in the Amazon, I fell sick with leishmaniasis, and doctors, homeopaths, herbalists, and nearly everyone insisted that this bacteria would dissolve the cartilage in my nose and joints, and probably kill me if I didn’t take injections. I tested my theories of disease and magick on it, ignoring the advice and taking heroic doses of ayahuasca. This shamanic medicine is central to Nemu’s End, and an extraordinary tool of mind-expansion. Part of my argument is that illness and health, as well as good and evil, sense and nonsense, and lawful and illegal, have become subject to a simplistic dualism that dominates society, science, and thought. We will trace the development of this dualism back through Scientism, through Christianity and Greek mythology, and all the way back to West Africa, where the figure at the boundary was neither good nor bad, but neither was he neither.
The style is poetic, and it is funny too, using made-up words and an unorthodox style. The second section, called ‘The End’, explores the relationship between language and limitation, beginning with Messiah apprehended at Heathrow! We compare linguistics, scripture, and the psychology of perception in Christendom and East Asia, where I lived for six years. We also take a Gnostic look at Elohim, Jehovah, Adam, and the serpent, mapping the functions of each onto the brain. Research into autistic savantism and the neurobiology of meditation and altered states reveals what we are capable of when the normal limits are dissolved.
The Biblical ‘end of the world’ is a terrible translation. ‘The end of the aeon’ is much more faithful to the original Greek, and various historical periods have seen just that. Jürgen’s World is about the rapid changes which swept late Medieval Europe, expanding minds and forging a new world in the blaze of the Reformation. Several other transformations relevant to our story are discussed, particularly the destruction of Jerusalem in the first century, and the subsequent emergence of Christian culture. An apocalypse can be local, and is fundamentally individual, but it can also be global in the age of globalization. Today`s environmental, social, and technological upheavals are part of a global transformation. The essence of our apocalypse is a shift in focus from particle to wave, from object to system, and from meat to information.
In the second section I introduce automatic writing and mess with the traditional format of a book, and the line between conjecture and poetry begins to blur. There is still plenty of science and history, but you can do what you like with the synthesis, and create the world you desire. This relates to the overall idea of the book, that we write the script, and we can subvert the plot if we have the strength of will and the freedom of thought. The third section, ‘The Nemmed is I’ is more autobiographical, going into the relationship between self and non-self, then in Baba-loca-lips we meet the Whore of Babylon at the Tower of Babel. It is a love poem really, a devotional to an ancient goddess of love who has been dragged down into the gutter. As she fell, the status of women fell with her, and non-rational, non-linear thought became seen as pathogenic. Winding through the whole book is a serpent. He raises his head periodically, strategically removing bricks from a tower of folly which has been over 2500 years in the making, before inviting this magnificent goddess to knock it down with a kiss.
My book is 144,000 words, which is rather long, but length never harmed sales of the Bible. It is best read in order, particularly from section two onwards. Ideally it would be read printed out, in slippers and a comfy chair.
Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
PART ONE – THE WORLD
1. THE CHICKEN OR THE EGGHEAD? – Fool o' sophy | Download PDF
2. NEMU’S RAZOR – Slashing theory | Download PDF
3. FIDO’S FIGHT – The hazards of rationalism | Download PDF
4. THE CHURCHE OF SCYENSE – Truth manufactured | Download PDF
5. SCIENCE REVEALED – The two sides of the apocalyptic scientist | Download PDF
6. SÃO MIGUEL IN STOCKWELL – A visit to the Spiritualist church | Download PDF
7. THE PORES OF DECEPTION – Drugs and their detractors | Download PDF
8. FROM LAYERED TRUTHS TO HORNS AND HOOVES – Exu’s journey | Download PDF
9. SHOCKING SUBJECTS – Milgram’s nightmare and the question of Evil | Download PDF
10. VIVA LA REVOLUÇION? | Download PDF
11. KA-SENSEI’S LOVE BITE – The monk, the mystic, and the mosquito | Download PDF
12. CHAOS IN THE CRÈCHE – Magick bombs, blowing open doors | Download PDF
Ω INTERVAL Piles of refinement
PART TWO – THE END
13. MESSIAH APPREHENDED AT HEATHROW! | Download PDF
14. NEURO–APOCALYPSE 1: THE MONKEY PUZZLE – Linguistics and limitation | Download PDF
15. NEURO–APOCALYPSE 2: THE LORD OF THE APES – Thought, scripture, and heresy | Download PDF
16. NEURO–APOCALYPSE 3: THE MONKEY WRENCH – Autistic bliss in a mind undefined | Download PDF
17. JÜRGEN’S WORLD – Seventeenth century apocalyptics | Download PDF
18. THE MARK OF ZOROASTER – Early Jewish apocalyptics | Download PDF
19. APOCALYPSE NOW! – Melting into a new world | Download PDF
20. SERPENTINE – Psychometraphysics | Download PDF
21. GOING TO SEED – Culture concentration | Download PDF
22. SIGNS OF THE TIMES – The apocalypse, by the book | Download PDF
Ω INTERVAL – The Philosopher’s euphemism | Download PDF
PART THREE – The Nemmed is I
23. AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A NO–BODY | Download PDF
24. THE FIRST DRAUGHT – The brew, the Bru’s, and the King of the Jews. The End is Nu! | Download PDF
25. BABA–LOCA–LIPS – There’s still something about Mary | Download PDF
26. APOCALYPSE SURVIVAL KIT – Tent, penknife, and a full sac | Download PDF
27. THE FINAL DRAFT – Can you script the Man–U–Script? | Download PDF
28. THE LAST WORD | Download PDF